Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Well, that was spectacularly unsuccessful

I've been wanting to try making macarons for quite a while.  Interesting, since I'd never actually had them, but I saw this post on Bakerella and they looked so pretty, so I've been wanting to try.  I actually got to try some a few weeks ago (yummy!), so I had to do it.

I pulled out my trusty Cuisinart... (which, by the way was a wedding gift from my old co-workers, guess something good came out of that place).


...and I ground up my almonds.


Sifted the sugar & almond flour...


Folded, colored, and piped out onto parchment.  I'm starting to learn that making Macarons is something of an art rather than a science, I think you're supposed to know when to stop folding just by pure instinct (of which I have none).


Oops, it looks like this project is already starting to go south...
Well, let's bake & see how they turn out.


Man, this is nothing like they look on the website.


Oh goodness, what a disaster.  But, I will say, I learned quite a few things, so I think that my next attempt should be much less awful (I'm not going to say good, though).


That said, the pieces that I scraped off the parchment paper were super yummy!  Maybe I'll just smother them with ganache and no one will know.

My next project is a ganache cake for gathering on Thursday.  I haven't make ganache since high school, so there's all sorts of potential for disaster there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment