Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Today's Project ~ Parker's Purple Romper

I've spent an astonishing amount of time over the past month trying to find an outfit for Parker to wear to Brian & Sandi's wedding.  I didn't have an exact idea of what I wanted, but I did know that I wanted it to be really cute, a little different, and purple.  Turns out, purple was to be my undoing.  Finally, a few weeks ago, I threw my hands up in frustration and said, "Fine!  I'll just make something!"  I've since managed to find something on EBay, but the purple romper idea was stuck in my head, so it had to be done.


I was originally considering making my own pattern (you can't work in the industry for 12 years without picking up a few things), but finally decided to just go ahead & buy a pattern.


I don't think I've made anything from an actual pattern since high school.  Most of what I've made lately has been pretty simple; bibs, bags, and curtains aren't real complex.  But here's the problem with buying a pattern.  When I create a pattern, I put hours & hours of thought into how the pieces will be cut, the order & logistics of sewing it together, etc.  So that, by the time I'm actually sewing, I know how to make it inside & out.  As far as I can tell, whoever made this pattern didn't appear to put any thought into it ever.  So, some of the directions were somewhat less than clear.


But I digress...


That said, it was nice to have someone else figure out the details of the pattern for me.



It took me every free moment of the last two days to finish it, but here's Parker's new romper.


That's not to say it was all that complicated of a style, just that Parker chose this week to be the week that he didn't take a single decent nap.  Any other week & I probably would have finished this in an afternoon.


It's a little big, but I think that's part of the style.  Plus, it needs to still fit three months from now when it might actually be warm enough to wear it outside.

1 comment:

  1. posts like this make me
    1. jealous
    2. with I had talent
    3. sorry for Nolie that she will have the bum mom come homemade halloween time.
    4. IMPRESSED

    ReplyDelete