Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cecily's 2-Month Appointment

Cecily had her 2-month appointment this morning.  She weighs in at 10lbs .25oz and is 22 inches long.  They didn't put her stats on my visit summary sheet, so I'm not sure where she is percentage-wise.  But I think she's now in the 15-20th percentile for weight, so she's still dropping percentiles, but the Doctor isn't too concerned about it.  He said she looks healthy and we'll probably see her settle into her "normal weight range" in the next few months.
 
It's nice to have the perspective of your 2nd child this time, so I can actually believe him.  This time I actually think that my milk supply is sufficient and I'm not concerned that she is hungry.  Of course, if she could keep from spitting-up half her meals, she might gain weight a little faster.  She'll fatten up eventually, or if she's lucky she'll take after her daddy and be skinny forever.
 
Cecily also had three shots this morning.  I was more concerned about Parker getting upset than Cecily, so we've been talking to Parker about it:
"Cecily is getting a shot and she'll cry, but she'll be okay"
"Sessie shot, Sessie sad?"
"Yes, but she'll be okay"
"Sessie okay?"
"Yes, Cecily will be okay"
Turns out, I didn't need to worry about it, he was fine.
 
Cecily did fine too.  As did I.
I'm starting to feel like I'm some sort of unfeeling monster, but it really doesn't bother me when my babies get shots.  I hear of Moms who can't even be in the room when their kid gets a shot.  Yes, I know it hurts her, but I also know that she's two months old and she'll have forgotten about it by the time the band-aids are on.  I think there's just too much of my Dad in me for hysterics over a shot.  That, and I do appreciate the extra-long nap when we get home from the doctor.  (Of course, in Cecily's case, that meant that she slept for just over 45 minutes...not the 3 hours I was hoping for).
 
As you do with any new parent, people have been asking me how we're doing.  I'm not really sure how to respond.  On the one hand, the newborn stage was much easier than I'd anticipated: Parker loves his sister and Cecily sleeps well (at night at least) and eats like a champ.  On the other hand, I'm feeling like I'm just keeping my head above water.  I've probably cooked all of two meals since she was born and our house is a mess.  When Parker was this age, I feel like I spent all day looking at him, talking with him, singing him songs and getting to know everything about him (and the house was clean with no 2-year-old messing it up).  With Cecily, I feel like I barely know her.  When Parker is awake, he is pretty all-consuming, so the only time I really have to spend quality time with Cecily is the two hours that Parker is napping.  Unfortunately, those two hours are also the only time I have to check e-mail, pay bills, make dinner, or take a nap.  So, I find I'm often trying to get her to sleep, rather than enjoy the quiet time I have with her.  I feel like the only way to focus on Cecily is to neglect Parker, and the only way to focus on Parker is to ignore Cecily.  I know that being a Mom is equal parts guilt & fatigue, and I'm sure that my expectations of myself are higher than they should be, I'm just still trying to figure out the balance in this new-normal.  I love the baby stage, and I am trying to savor it since this is our last time, but I feel like the days are slipping through my fingers & I can't quite get a hold of them.
 
In other news - Parker has started calling Cecily: Sess-E-Le-Lee with anywhere from one to four "lee"s at the end of her name.  That boy cracks me up!  Today, Cecily was crying and Parker insisted on picking her up ("pick up myself!") and holding her.  He was happy as a clam holding his little sister...as she screamed her head off in his ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment