Saturday, September 24, 2011

Today's Project ~ Dip Dye Infinity Scarf

Some time ago, I came across this tutorial for an infinity scarf.  I thought it sounded great and I really wanted to try it out.  Although I love scarfs in theory, in actual practice, I'm never quite sure what to do with them and all their ends flying this way & that.  So, an infinity scarf seemed like the perfect solution, no ends!

But, it requires 2 yards of fabric which is a pretty hefty investment in "I think I'll like it", so I haven't gotten around to it.  A few weeks ago, I thought, "I bet I could find a fun cheap sheet at the thrift store, and then do a dip-dye over the top to get a really cool look."

I wanted to get a totally colorful crazy-70's sheet like we had growing up, but ended up with just a white with blue flowers.


I set up the dye station in a bucket in our downstairs utility sink.  I dyed one end for about 10 minutes, then added about 1/3 of the fabric for another 10 minutes, and then dunked the rest of the fabric for a few more minutes.



I was quite disappointed in my dye-job.  I had been hoping for much more saturation (and contrast) in my colors.  I might try dyeing it again for longer later, but not tonight.


So, once it was cleaned & dried, I moved onto assembly.  Of course, the sheet I found was a fitted sheet, so I had to cut off the no-longer-elastic elastic band.


I decided to go with a raw edge, rather than sewing into a tube like the tutorial.  Not because I'm lazy, I just thought it would make for an interesting texture.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a lot more work than just sewing that one seam since I had to pull out about 2-dozen threads on either side to make the fringe look intentional enough, and I had to do a fancy seam on the one seam so that it looked tidy from both sides.


All done!


I'm not sure if I love it yet.  I really do want to be able to wear scarves without feeling ridiculous, but I'm not sure that this scarf is the one to do it.  I do think I might try dyeing it again to get more contrast.

I also have enough fabric to make one or two more, I might try making a purple one next time  I also don't think I would bother with the raw edge next time, I think that was just a waste of time.  Soon I will be drowning in infinity scarves, let me know if anyone wants one!

No comments:

Post a Comment