Friday, June 15, 2012

First Views of the Nursery

I've finally made it to the fabric store & started on several of my projects for the baby's room, so I can finally post a few photos of the nursery.  We're still a long way from finished, but it's a start.

This dresser was a hand-me-down from a friend of my Mom's many years ago.  It's pretty beat up, but with a couple coats of paint and new drawer pulls, it's looking better.


My invisible wallpaper painting: 

If you come over, just pretend you can see it & say it's pretty.


We've swapped cribs with my parents, so they have Parker's brown crib, and we have this white one.  It goes better with the room.

This window seat was nearly my undoing...

These are the times when I really miss my Mom.  I could have really used her help on this project.  Or, more realistically, I would have loved to dump the entire mess in her lap & let her fix it.  It should have been an easy project: cut 6 rectangles, sew 12 straight seams, done in an hour.  However, for whatever reason, it took two days, seeing how I had to pull out EVERY SINGLE seam at least once, mostly because EVERY SINGLE piece had been cut incorrectly.  Some because the fabric was hard to cut correctly, some because I was an idiot & forgot seam allowances, and some just because it's hard to measure something longer than your measuring tape. (and did I mention my emergency trip to the fabric store Wednesday night since I bought half as much piping as I needed? grr...)

Whatever it was, I very nearly threw the sewing machine out the window.  As it is, the stupid thing is finally done....  And I don't like it.  I think it looks like something you'd find in a hospital room.  Keith seems to think that I'm being melodramatic, so we'll keep it for now, but it has marred my joy for sewing at the moment.

This was yesterday's project, I needed an easy win.  I still have one more wet bag to make, but this one turned out much cuter than the window seat.

I finished the pelmet this week as well:

The chandelier will look cuter when it's hanging, but that's Keith's project for the weekend.  Pregnant girls don't belong on ladders.


I had originally planned to buy a chandelier at the Goodwill for this project, but then remembered this lamp I got from my Aunt.  I have a feeling that Joanie probably wouldn't appreciate what I did to her beautiful (and probably expensive, Joanie had great taste) brass lamp, but at least this way it's being used.  And I think it's cute.

These baskets are probably my most successful project so far.  After weeks of shopping in every store I could imagine, I gave up on finding ANYTHING in purple or grey, so I bought a bunch of wire baskets at the Goodwill (I think the large basket came out of someones refrigerator) and spray painted them myself.  The color came out perfect.

Now that the room is set-up, I've also organized baby girl's clothes by size.

Just in-case you're wondering:

Yes, that is the entirety of her 0-3 wardrobe.  If my memory serves my right, that's about enough for two days.  I've had several friends promise us baby girl clothes, but until then, she might be going naked.

This is the last, big project that remains:

I have a feeling that it might just stay like that.  I'm not so concerned about the time & effort required to re-cover it, but I've already feel like I've "invested" a fortune at JoAnn's Fabric as it is, I'm not sure I can justify much more.  I'm sure baby girl won't mind a blue & green rocking chair.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure Joanie is rolling over in her grave at the abuse the items we have are receiving. Better to be used and loved, right? Right? :)

    Everything looks good. I would have helped with the cushion, I can do cushions! That rocking chair looks swear-inducing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of baby girl stuff and would love for you to use it when the time comes! Just give it back in case we have another girl for baby #2 (who is not on the way yet). Want to get together for a coffee some afternoon soon and I can pass off the 0-3 month bins?

    ReplyDelete