Monday, November 29, 2010

Darn Fuses

 Our Tree:

Ooh, Pretty...



Hey, what happened to the top?

As I mentioned, Keith took Parker on Friday so I could have the whole day to decorate the house for Christmas.  Unfortunately, somehow, I managed to blow a fuse on every single thing I touched.  On the Christmas houses, I was able to pilfer a fuse from one of the strings I don't use.  On the wreath, I wasn't able to fix it, but my super-handy hubby fixed it for me later.  On the outside lights, they magically fixed themselves.  But the tree...that's another story.

The tree was complete, lights, decorations, even bubble lights when I heard a "pop" and the tree went dark.  Of course a fuse blew, and of course it was AFTER all the lights and ornaments were on, and of course it was the VERY first string on the entire tree.  I attempted to change the fuses (funny, I always thought those extra fuses were just for show, never thought I'd actually use one), but at some point something went horribly wrong & neither I nor Keith could fix it.  Since I'm not about to take all the lights and ALL the ornaments off to replace the one bum light strand, we're just accepting our topless tree as-is. 

So, should you come over and notice that our tree isn't all there upstairs...don't mention it, I don't want to talk about it.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer. If you've replaced the fuse, the problem is probably that 2+ lights are also burnt out on the string. When you are feeling bored, you could trace along the string looking for the blackened bulbs and replace those. If you find even 1, sometimes it will come back on. Usually works by the time you find the 2nd one. So much fun! Not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it's the fuse. I pulled the old ones out okay, but when I put the new ones in, something went wrong & one got wedged in. It won't go in all the way, but it won't come back out. And it's a little hard to check each light individually when they are on the tree! Maybe we'll have to buy a topper this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eventually, I'm going to by an artificial, prelit tree and I'm going to wonder why I spent so many years, $$, and headaches doing it this way.

    ReplyDelete