Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Orange Ice

Orange Ice is a Ward family tradition for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Historically, my Grandma Ward made the Orange Ice every year, and the recipe was a closely guarded secret.  When she got sick, my Grandpa took over the job.  Eventually, Grandpa's Orange Ice surpassed even Grandma's version (he mixed it with the drill press to get it really creamy, Barb had a few comments on what that did to her Tupperware!).

Once Grandpa & Barb moved into Crista (away from the drill press), the Orange Ice pretty much dried up.  I thought I'd re-introduce it this year.

Poor naked oranges...I forgot to take a picture before I zested all the fruits.


I added the juice of the oranges & lemons.  Not technically in the recipe, but what am I supposed to do with six naked lemons?
At one point it kind of looked like I was making orange rind candy, I sure hope this turns out okay...


 Historically, the hardest part of the recipe is softening it up so that you have Orange Ice, rather than an Orange Ice Cube (hence the drill press).  I thought I'd same some time & effort and use the ice cream maker.
 Twenty minutes later, I had very cold Orange Juice, but it wasn't really even slushy.  So, I guess we'll have to go with the more traditional route.
I put it in ziplocks, hoping that the thinner juice would freeze faster & be easier to break-up later. 
24 hours later, it was still pretty slushy, it never really froze solid.  I'm not sure why, but that works for my purposes, so I proceed.

 I chilled the mixer bowl (if I'd thought ahead I could have done this in the freezer, but it didn't happen).
And into the mixer it goes.  (Yes, that's a Christmas dish towel. No, I haven't started decorating already, it never got put away from last Christmas)

The final result was fairly frothy, and it at least looks like Orange Ice, so I think it will turn out okay.

I just hope it tastes okay.  There was a not so clear part of the recipe where I couldn't tell if I was supposed to add 12 Cups or 12oz of water, so it may turn out pretty strong.  The first time Grandpa made it, he forgot most or all of the sugar, so it won't be the first time we've had really bad Orange Ice, worst case we melt it down, add water & try again for Christmas.

Traditionally, only those from the Ward bloodline actually like Orange Ice.  No one who marries into the family seems to like it (except possibly for Eric, I can't remember).  Since our Thanksgiving guests are primarily from the Hamilton side of the tree this year, I may have made enough Orange Ice to last us until next Christmas!  Sure hope Parker likes it.


1 comment:

  1. Hmm... Suddenly I'm feeling better. Maybe we ARE healthy enough to drive over. :)

    Don't worry, Parker will like it. He's got Ward blood in him.

    And, can I get a copy of the recipe? Thx.

    ReplyDelete