Sunday, November 14, 2010

Portland

After our horrific "day trip" to Portland for Keith's Grandma's funeral, we swore we'd never go down there again.  But time passes, and we decided to head down there for the last part of Keith's vacation.

On the way down we stopped in Fife to have breakfast with Grandma & Grandpa.  Can't say I've ever intentionally been to Fife before, but the meal was good, and Parker had a great time with Grandma.

We had a good time in Portland visiting Uncle Brian.  I got to have my first sushi since getting pregnant, and we went to the OMSI on Friday morning.  They had a great exhibit about identity and what makes you "you".  Unfortunately, we realized when we got there that Friday was a school in-service day, so there were TONS of little kids, which made the event a little more crazy than we'd expected.  But it was a great place.

Overall, Parker was a trooper, he slept the whole way down to Portland, and did really well sleeping in the Pack & Play.  I don't think Brian or his roommate even heard him during the night...unfortunately the same can't be said for Keith or I.  Since Parker usually sleeps in his own room (behind two closed doors), I hadn't realized what a noisy sleeper he is, so I was awake most of the night, waiting to see if each noise meant he was waking up or falling further asleep.  We also learned that Pack & Plays are not such a quiet place for baby to sleep, every time he moved (which was frequently), we would hear him scratching on the mattress.  Turns out that fitted sheet that they sell separately isn't just for decoration, guess we know what's going on the Christmas list for Parker.

But all-in-all it was a good trip, until we got in the car to go home.  I'm sometimes embarrassed to admit how good a sleeper Parker is (last night he slept 8 hours, woke long enough to feed, and slept another three).  It's not uncommon for him to fall asleep in the 2-minute drive to the grocery store.  But not on this day.  With the exception of a 20-minute nap about half-way through, Parker cried the ENTIRE drive home.  He wouldn't keep his Binky in, so almost the entire trip, I was reaching back with my finger in his mouth to keep him quiet.  If I'd been driving I might have just let him cry & tried to block the sound out, but I took pity on Keith & tried to keep the noise somewhat controlled.

All this to say, it was a lovely trip, and we're never doing it again.  And this time I might be serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment