Monday, August 19, 2013

Goodbye Binky, I'll always love you

 
We've been working for months with Parker, warning him that when his birthday comes "no more binkies".  He's been talking about it forever, without too much drama attached, so I had hopes that maybe it wouldn't be too horribly painful.


 
We were planning to do it on Parker's actual birthday, but after everyone left the party last weekend, Parker took a nap, and when he got up, he said "It's my birthday, no more binky!" then calmly took his binky out & threw it in the trash.  No prompting, no drama.


 
We had a few days of "I want my binky" at bedtime, but for the most part it's gone okay.
Except that he hasn't taken a single nap since he threw away the binky.  And don't tell me "well, most kids drop their naps around this age anyway"; he was taking 2-3 hour naps every day before we got rid of binky, and he hasn't taken a single nap since then.  And he has been SUPER cranky the whole week, so I know he needs the sleep.


 
 
So far, I'm holding strong, but I think I'm about two more nap-free days before I cave and pull the last binky out of my safe-hiding spot.  ...that or start drinking in the early afternoon.




 
So, we'll see how it goes.  He's sort of flirting with thumb sucking now, so I'm not super excited about trading one problem for another. 

 
 
 
 





 
So long binky!  You've been a good friend, hopefully we'll all learn to live without you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment