Thursday, September 23, 2010

Milk Cookies

Sharla told me about a new cookie that's out that's supposed to help increase your milk supply.  Milkmakers cookies are "specially designed" to increase a nursing mother's milk supply.  Although we're doing MUCH better, I wouldn't mind having a little more to go around, so I thought I'd give it a try.  ...except that these cookies are $1.50 EACH!  I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on something that "couldn't hurt", so I found the recipe online instead.

I had all the ingredients at home, with the exception of Brewer's Yeast, which is supposed to be the "secret ingredient" to making these MILK cookies.  So off I went to the beer supply store down the street (very handy location).  When I got there, I walked up to the twenty-something Beer Guy behind the counter, our conversation went something like this:
Me: Hi, do you have Brewer's Yeast?
Beer Guy: Sure, what kind do you want?
Me: *blink* *blink*, ummm...  Is there a generic kind?
Beer Guy: Not really, what are you making?
Me: Ummm...  Cookies?

What followed was an extremely awkward conversation between me and two salespeople.  Both were trying very hard to decide which kind of yeast would be best for my cookies, while I was trying equally hard to not really tell them what I wanted it for.  But they were so determined to get me just the right kind, I finally had to tell them my real purpose ("it's for the baby, brewer's yeast is supposed to increase milk production"), at which point I'm pretty sure they wished they hadn't asked.  Don't ever let it be said they were lacking in customer service.

Of course, it was only after I got home (with my packet of yeast) that I discovered that they sell Brewers Yeast at the health food store as a nutritional supplement.  I don't know if these cookies are working or not, but next time I'm going to Super Supplements.

3 comments:

  1. Julie, did you already forget that you lost most of your dignity with pregnancy and the rest with labor and delivery? There is no embarrassment left for milk cookies. Good luck with them (and I hope they taste good!). Love, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would happen if a guy ate them? Would Dwayne be able to start carrying his weight around in the lactation department? 'Cause I'd make a gross of them.
    Again.
    Love.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny!

    You can also try Fenugreek, it comes in pills. They would have it at Super Supplements or your local grocery store.

    I also saw some MILK tea that you drink that's supposed to help. Probably would have it in the natural section of Fred Meyer or something. :)

    Hope it works for ya.

    ReplyDelete