Friday, August 20, 2010

Today's Project

Denise very kindly gave us one of her gliders to put in the baby's room.  I've been contemplating re-covering it to match the room since before we got it, but hadn't done it yet.  Mostly because I've never re-covered anything before, and this didn't seem like the sort of project I wanted to leave half-finished if the baby came early (which clearly isn't happening).

But, this morning as I was in bed not sleeping, I thought that re-covering the glider might be a good project for today.  So I headed off to the craft store as soon as they were open (it was an early morning for me and I never quite made it back to sleep).  I quickly found a fabric that I liked, actually, I re-found a fabric that I already knew I liked, I'd found it originally when looking for curtain fabric.  But at $17.99/yard, I wasn't sure I really wanted to make that sort of commitment.  Especially since this project had the potential to go horribly wrong, and who needs a $50 "learning experience".  So, finally I bought a small amount and thought I'd try it out just on the footrest.

Well, look how cute that turned out!?!  Of course I have to do the whole chair now.  The only problem being that I'd already used my 50% off coupon on the footrest fabric, and I'm still not willing to fork over the $17.99/yard, no matter how cute.  So, being the resourceful, classy girl that I am, I head out to the recycle bin (waiting on the side of the road for pick-up), and dig through until I find my JoAnne's circular that I'd thrown away a few days ago.  Of course, it didn't have a 50% coupon (40% off was the best I could do), but that's better than nothing.  So I made my second trip of the day to JoAnne's (thankfully it is less than 5 blocks away), and two hours later I had this:
I haven't quite figured out what to do with the armrest covers.  We may just live without, the current covers are snapped into place, and I can't find an easy way to work around that, which is what I did for all the other pieces.  Of course, I was almost completely done before I thought, "Guess I should have tried to match the stripes from top to bottom, oh well!"  But I did do a fairly fantastic job of pattern matching from the seat to the footrest (completely by accident).

The good news/bad news of this fabric is that it's an indoor-outdoor fabric, so it's not really washable, BUT it's fade-proof (not that we'll need that feature) AND semi-waterproof.  So hopefully we should be able to wipe all the baby-puke off fairly easily.

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! Good job. If you wanted arm covers, you could just make some that wrap the arms and then velcro to themselves to stay closed (ignoring the snaps completely, and also not worrying about attaching to the bottom of the chair). Or, just be lazy and use a pillow if needed. :)

    ReplyDelete