Saturday, November 19, 2011

Today's Project ~ My New Shoes

Like my shoes?


These are my #2 favorite shoes, they'd probably be #1 if they didn't hurt quite so bad.

But either way, both my #1 & #2 favorite shoes aren't really appropriate for my new life of running after an almost-toddler.  So, I needed to find a replacement.


I started with these almost-cute shoes.


I got them at Desert Industries, the thrift store you've never really noticed next to the ice rink.  It's actually my favorite shop for stuff for myself.  And only $4 for the shoes!


I also got these ones for $4:
These ones are cute all on their own.  Even if they make my feet look a little short & stumpy (quite a feat considering how long & skinny my feet actually are).

But back to the purple shoes...
I picked up a couple basics at JoAnne's


But first, I had to cut off some of the zipper trims.  This was the least-messy part of the project, but it probably was also the hardest (but that could be because I haven't yet tried to clean-up my craft room).


All ready for their glitter-ification.


I bought some purple glitter paint, mostly because it was on sale for $.50.  So, I started with a coat of the paint...


Followed by a coating of glitter.


Then I let it dry & did it all again.  I ended up using Mod Podge for the other coats, I wanted to be sure the glitter was on good.  I mixed the glitter with the mod podge, and then sprinkled glitter over the glue.


Dry overnight, spray with some varnish, and you're done!


They're holding up okay so far.  I don't know how much good the varnish did, I have been leaving a trail of purple glitter pretty much everywhere I go.  But, I will say it's no better or worse than the pink ones I paid $60 for.  I do, however, have several scratches on my feet & ankles where I've been impaled by sharp points of metal, I'm sure they'll wear down a little with time.  But I had no less than half-a-dozen little girls tell me they liked my shoes, so it's all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment