Thursday, November 10, 2011

My latest project

Spend any time around me and you will soon hear about how much I hate our diaper bag.  When we were registering for baby gifts, I wanted a cute, girlie diaper bag, and Keith wanted a plain boring black bag.  So we did the common married-people thing and compromised on a bag that neither of us liked.


Since then I have spent hours contemplating and designing the perfect diaper bag. 


It has just the right number of pockets, somewhere to put my keys, cell phone, and wallet.  Everything is organized, and the bag is cute (hopefully). 



Then, after I had the pattern and the cut-plan all designed (in order to use my fabric most efficiently, I didn't work in manufacturing for 10 years for nothing), I then realized that my bag, as designed, would cost me around $70. 


That's an awful lot to spend on something I "sure hope I like" when it's done. So, the project has been on-hold for months.

 

Recently, I've had the bug to try again.  I made a few design changes (it's cuter, so I'm more likely to like it) and a few fabric changes (WAY cheaper), so I'm ready to go.


But, even with my new price-tag (closer to $20), I didn't want to mess it up, so I introduce to you, the "Ugly Curtains Bag":


I have a huge pile of fabric in my craft room that was originally curtains in our basement (back when it was polka-dots).  It's the perfect quality of fabric, if not necessarily the look I was going for.


After hours and months of working on the pattern, I threw the bag together in about two nap-times (I will say that Parker's naps this week have been nothing short of super-fantastic).

Now I'm determined to carry this beauty around for a week or so to see how I like it and if there's anything I want to change.  I've already come up with a few ideas, and I learned a TON in the sewing, so I'm glad I wasn't learning on my $20-a-yard fabric.

2 comments:

  1. Once you get it all figured out, get your pattern digitized and sell it on Etsy. Patterns are hot sellers. :) Looks good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, you're so creative! Now that we have one on the way, I'm browsing your blog for ideas. I stumbled across this post while looking for your advent stocking post to see what ideas people have come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete