Thursday, November 10, 2011

...a lot like Christmas...part 2


I decided that this was the year that we needed to get matching stockings.


I didn't entirely have a pattern, but after hours & hours of contemplating and wandering the fabric store, these are what I came up with. 


I love how they turned out, a little bit modern, but still classic.
They did, however, turn out a little smaller than I'd planned.  The paper pattern I made looked fine, but I didn't think about the thickness of the fabric making them appear smaller.  I actually had to take the first one apart & reduce the seam allowance 1/4", just so we could fit SOMETHING into them (wishing I hadn't done such a good job of matching the thread color).  Guess this will help me not go overboard on the stocking stuffer budget.


I spent a LOT of time trying to come up with a good way to put our names on the stockings.  I actually went to the sewing machine store to see if there was an attachment I could buy for my machine.  Her answer: "Nope, but we have this 'inexpensive' embroidery machine here for $600".  So, I pulled out my roll of freezer paper, and ran the fabric through the printer.  It turned out okay, but the ink bled into the fabric so they're pretty hard to read.  We'll see if I come up with a better idea, I can always change the name-patches, they come off pretty easily (don't ask me how I know that).

No comments:

Post a Comment