Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It is finished!

As I've mentioned before, we hate our diaper bag, and I've been wanting to make a new one FOREVER.  I've realized that I started planning this in March a year & a half ago, and made my prototype back in November (in my defense, I probably finished it a few days to a week before I got pregnant, so I've been busy "making" something else).  Anyway, I finally got around to making the new diaper bag this weekend:


And, amazingly enough, I actually made the entire thing in one day.  My super-duper hubby watched Parker all afternoon, and I might have stayed up a little past my bed-time on Sunday, but it was done in one day.


I sure hope I like it!  There are a few things that I don't love about it, right off the bat:

I spent way too long in the fabric store picking out which fusible I wanted to use to stiffen up the body.  One was not-quite-stiff-enough and the other was way-too-stiff, I wish I'd gone with the way-too-stiff option, since the bag is a little more "floppy" than I would have liked.


Oh, and I put the ends on backwards (so the pocket for my keys is at my back, rather than by my hands when I'm wearing the bag). 

That, and it's ginormous.  I think I could probably fit baby sister AND all her stuff inside.  I'm a little embarrassed to see how big it is, but with two little ones still in diapers, it's entirely possible that I'll need all the space.

 But, all that aside, I think it turned out pretty well.

There are six pockets on the outside


And seven pockets on the inside.


...including a small zippered-pocket on the inside for small-stuff.  I originally started out taking pictures of all the steps, just in-case I ever wanted to make an actual pattern and/or tutorial for the bag.  Once I got to setting the zipper, I gave up on the photos, I had NO idea what I was doing, and it's pretty apparent if you look very closely (so don't look, okay?).


I even made a tag so I don't have to keep putting stickers on it every time I drop Parker off at the nursery at church.  (And I made one for after baby sister comes, but you'll have to wait & see that tag after she's born)


The outside zipper turned out much better than the inside one.


So, a year & a half later, it's finished!  This was one of the things on my "make before the baby comes" list, but I was pretty sure it was going to be pushed off to my "make before the baby goes to college" list, so I'm pretty excited to use it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment