Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Yogurt Attempt #2 ~ Total failure


I decided to make another attempt at yogurt today.  I've seen several options for the "heating" process, one was to set the crock-pot to warm & let it sit, the other was to turn the crock-pot on, let it sit a while, then turn off, wrap with towels, and cross your fingers.  The 1st option seemed easier, so I gave it a try.

I wasn't certain if it would keep the yogurt at the perfect temperature (115-120), but I tried it out for several hours with water & it seemed to settle at a close-enough temperature.

To make thing even easier on myself, I microwaved the milk (far less mess & dishes to clean).  I poured my hopefully-yogurt in the container, set the crock-pot, and headed out the door. 

I came home to find the "yogurt" temperature to be 175, that's not so close to 120, huh?  So, that whole batch went straight down the drain.  My one consolation is that we don't really drink whole milk, so my options were really to send it down the drain now as burnt yogurt, or send it down the drain in a week or two as spoiled milk, so really, I'm just being efficient.

Guess we'll try a different process next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment