Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The mantel

We have a lovely, if slightly awkward mantel in our living room.  I think it was designed to hold a large-screen TV (as evidenced by the cable jack & outlet prominently displayed in the middle).  Seeing how our not-so-large-screen TV lives downstairs, it's become something of a holding place for a hodge-podge of photos & knick-knacks.

Once the Christmas decorations were down, it was my goal to make this area a little more elegant, and less hodge-podgey.
So, I re-distributed most of the photos throughout the house, and consolidated some candle holders and a few new decorative pieces together.  I had the idea to make an antique mirror like this from Martha Stewart, but hopefully in a way that wasn't quite as complicated as Martha tends to make things.  I bought a cheap plastic poster frame at Target because, let's face it, the chances of this project being successful are pretty slim and I don't want to sink a ton of money into it.

I went for the spray adhesive, because I wanted to get this whole project done during one nap, if possible, and there's no way that would happen going the Martha way.

The final result, although far from perfect, turned out better than I had expected: 
Of course, I learned a lot through the process, and if I were to ever do this again (which is unlikely), my next try would be much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment