Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day

For Christmas, Denise got me a cookbook titled "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day".

It's a great cookbook, and I've already tried one recipe with great success.

But 5-minutes might be an exaggeration.  I think they might get close, but only if you're assuming that:
1. You first spend 30 minutes making the dough on some other day
2. You still need to remember the bread 2 hours (not 5 minutes) before dinner.
3. You want to make a fresh loaf of bread every day (heaven help us, I'll be 400 pounds)
4. You have a huge amount of refrigerator space you're willing to devote to bread dough
5. Someone else is cleaning up after you.

But that aside, it's a great book & I'm looking forward to trying out more recipes and perfecting my crunchy crust with chewy insides.

Parker likes helping out too.

And Denise, I don't know if you remember my explanation on Christmas Eve of why you have to score the top of bread?  I got a good answer last night, I didn't score my bread well enough, and our loaf ended up with a tumor coming off the side:
Lesson learned, I guess.



1 comment:

  1. I *LOVE* artisan-bread-in-five-minutes-a-day. I make a half-batch at a time, to conserve fridge space and not have to bake bread every day. I use the dough for pizza regularly, and I've made naan and pita and cinnamon rolls with it. They have a blog with tons of ideas and instructions at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/.

    ReplyDelete