Friday, November 27, 2009

Achey-breakey Christmas






Keith hates Christmas music.


Well, okay, he doesn't hate Christmas music. He hates the way I play Christmas music (24/7 from Thanksgiving to Christmas). So, this year, in an effort to increase marital bliss, I've created a special Christmas play-list. It's about 60% Christmas music, 40% Country music. That way we're both miserable part of the time. That's what marriage is all about, right?


All this to say, I've been decorating the tree to a rather random combination of Amy Grant Christmas and Garth Brooks Live, Volume 2.


With the new house, I have a new home for my Christmas Village. This necessitated a trip to the craft store and more Styrofoam. I love having the village, but putting it together is not my favorite Christmas-chore (2nd only to putting the frickin' lights on the stupid tree - all to the sounds of Garth Brooks, seriously I need help!!). But this year, I had to build it all over again, suddenly, my collection that wouldn't even fit on the fireplace mantel in the Ballard house, is dwarfed by the gigantic fireplace mantel/spare room. But I suppose that's an appropriate metaphor for our entire house now. All of our Christmas decorations, that once made our entire house (which was really one big room) seem so Christmas-ey, now barely fill the living room, let alone the fourteen other rooms in the house. But anyway, I digress... (or should I say meander), here's the finished product:



And our room is beautifully decorated (even if it is only one room). I think Keith likes it, this way he can go into any other room in the house if he needs a break from the Christmas-ness. But just give me a few years to increase my supplies...


Notice the blue painter's tape by Brian's feet. That's so we don't stub our toes on our invisible furniture. Eventually (theoretically), our visible furniture will come, but for now we're stuck with the invisible stuff. But, not to worry, they have assured us that it will all be here by Christmas. But then, they said something similar about Thanksgiving, so I'm not so sure I believe them anymore.


Thanksgiving was a roaring success. The turkey was moist and flavorful, the company was fun, and dinner was on the table at 2:00 on the dot (not bad for my first Thanksgiving dinner). I even made home-made bread and my own flower arrangements. I'm becoming so domestic, pretty soon I'll be washing my own dishes (okay, probably not).


Oh right, and back to the music? Now, I'm listening to "Tender Tennessee Christmas" and Keith is downstairs massacring "Margaritaville" on the guitar. And all is right with the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment