Saturday, May 8, 2010

Where did I go wrong, exactlly?

Several weeks ago (4, 5, 6-ish), I planted an assortment of my seeds out in the new vegetable garden that Keith created for me. Of course, this being Seattle (Shoreline, actually), two days later it was 32 out and there were threats of snow. So, I kind of gave up hope for my poor little seedlings. But, several weeks later, I wandered outside to discover that several of my pea seeds had, in fact, sprouted. But, something just wasn't quite right.

I don't know how or why, but about half of my seeds managed to sprout themselves upside down. I planted the seeds correctly (1" down, 1" apart), but when I came out to check on them, there they were. Happily sitting on top of the dirt with their little bums in the air. Roots on the ground with their little green heads firmly planted into the dirt. I'd always thought that with seeds this size it was impossible to plant them upside down, but apparently I've made the impossible possible. I did my best to gently invert the seeds & stick them back in the ground right-side-up, it still remains to be seen how successful I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment