Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's painted green, so it's okay.

Usually, we attend the 9:00 service at church, and use the satellite parking lot and take the shuttle bus. Doing so is super-convenient, and has made us forget about the hassles of parking near the church.

But, this week, we were staying for a lunch after 2nd service, so we came to the later service and had to park on the surface streets. So, after spending about 10 minutes elbowing our way past the church, we finally found a spot approximately four miles away from the church. As we were parking, I noticed that the car across the street from us was parked DIRECTLY in-front of the fire hydrant. (As a side note: there's no fear of this neighborhood burning down any time soon, there are about three hydrants on each block, but I digress...). Being in a somewhat charitable mood, I thought I'd be nice to the two poor college girls getting out of said car, before they had their car towed. So, we parked the car, and I jumped out and mentioned to the girls that they were parked "directly in-front of the fire hydrant, so you might want to move." Their ever-so-grateful response: "It's painted green, so it's okay."

Now, I realize that at 20 years old, they know infinitely more than I ever could, and they have much more recently taken driver's ed than I have. But EVERY fire hydrant in that ENTIRE neighborhood is green, so maybe whoever gave them that crack-pot idea, probably shouldn't be talking to impressionable young college girls. I'm starting to see why people aren't 100% excited to see a giant church growing up in their neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment