Friday, October 18, 2013

Today's Project ~ Parker's Comforter Cover

This started out so innocently...
I was at my parent's house shopping for home goods, um, I mean, visiting, when I saw a comforter in one of the laundry room cupboards.  I thought, "Parker loves our bed, I bet he'd love having a comforter like ours", so I took it naively thinking that I could buy a cheap cover to put on it.
 
Turns out that the "cheap" covers are only $80, compared to the normal ones that are $100-150.  So, I thought I'd just make one, buy two pieces of fabric, sew them together, viola, a comforter cover.  Turns out, they don't really sell fabric wide enough for that little idea, so it had to be pieced.
 
And before you know it, I'm making Parker a quilt:
 
 
It ended up being even more pieced than I'd planned since I didn't have enough fabric for my initial plan and ended up using every tiny scrap of fabric I'd bought.  So, it was WAY more of a project than I'd ever intended.

 
...not to mention that it ended up costing about $60 for all the fabric, so I probably should have just bought one at Target after all.

 
But, it's soft and cozy, made with "warm" fabrics that Parker loves, and I got pretty good at using my serger.  (Yes, I made it with my serger, I know that's not real quilt-making technique, but I'm not a real quilt-maker, just don't tell my Mom)

 
So, after all that work, here's where we found Parker the first night it was on his bed:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment