Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Guest Blogger - Daddy Cecily Weekend

We have a guest blogger today, Keith took Cecily away for the weekend, so their adventure in his own words:

Daddy-Cecily Weekend

I received great advice a few months ago to take each of my kids on a weekend away with just Daddy once every year; just the two of us. Oh, and don’t forget to take pictures.

I took Parker on an adventure a few years ago so this time I wanted to take Cecily out for our own adventure. My sister generously loaned us her cabin on Whidbey Island, we packed our bags and a few of Cecily’s favorite stuffies, and headed out for a weekend in Langley.


And we’re off! I was a little nervous because Cecily had been asking why Mama and Parker couldn’t join us for this weekend. She seemed to get into the spirit of the trip as we drove off for the ferry.
 


Here we are waiting for the ferry. We packed enough snacks for the 40—minute drive and we’re all smiles. Nothing but smooth sailing ahead. The weather was pretty nice, too.


It’s a nice ferry ride, if not a bit short. Cecily always likes this part of the journey. She’s always on the lookout for cute baby birds or seals in the water, or cute babies on the boat.

I promised her she could watch “Anna and Elsa” [Frozen] when we got to the cabin. There are few things more adorable than watching her watch this movie, especially when she sings along with “Let It Go”.

After the movie, I convinced her to go to Castle Park. They have a great playground with lots of fun obstacles and fun things to explore.



She was my instructor as we navigated the obstacle course and performed daring feats.


She would demonstrate and then coach me to do the same thing.


And now for the tight-rope walking.



  
When we got back to the cabin I asked her what she wanted to do for dinner, assuming she would jump at the chance to go out. Instead she wanted to stay at the cabin for dinner. There is a fire pit in the yard, so we scavenged the cabin for s'more makings and discovered my sister is insightful and thoughtful enough to have s'more makings already there. Since we can’t just have s'mores for dinner we went to the store and got hot dogs to roast over a fire.


There was something of an epic disaster in just trying to get the fire started (the fire starter ran out of fuel) but we finally got some decent coals in enough time to make s'mores before bed time. Cecily was a trouper and enjoyed the adventure.

The next day we had a leisurely breakfast, read every kids’ book at the cabin, and then headed for home by noon. Cecily seemed to have a good time, and I know I want to do it again next year.

When we got home Parker was already talking about what he wanted to do when he and I take our adventure together later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment