Saturday, March 5, 2016

Norwex test

Note to family: This isn't my normal photos-of-the-kids post, and I'm totally selling something, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

I recently had a friend introduce me to Norwex, which is a home-sales brand of cleaning products.  The core of their product is their microfiber cleaning cloths.  Their big claim is that they can remove over 99% of all surface dirt and bacteria using just the Norwex cloth and water.  This seemed like a CRAZY claim to me, because how can you get rid of bacteria with just water, but then I saw this video and I was amazed.

So, if they're to be believed, I can clean my entire kitchen with just one cloth and water, and I don't have to worry about cross-contamination?  If it was really true that would be amazing and would totally help with my goal of getting all chemicals out of the house.  I was sold enough to buy the sample pack, but I still wasn't convinced.  I was talking to Keith about this and I said, "Don't you sometimes wish you just had a personal science lab?" ...he did not, but knowing me, he could understand why I felt that way.  But, with the wonder of Amazon, it turns out you really CAN have a personal science lab (kinda).  I found these petri-dish kits on Amazon, so Parker & I went swabbing.

I swabbed both the kitchen counter and (just to make sure I got a good test) the rim of the toilet in the kid's bathroom.  I'd like to say it was extra dirty just for this test, but let's be honest, it's always dirty in there.

To get a decent test, I tried 4 swabs of each:
1. Control of the dirty surface
2. The surface cleaned with just the Norwex cloth & water
3. Cleaned with a Costco (cheaper) microfiber cloth & water
4. Cleaned with a cotton rag (actually an old diaper) and my home-made cleaning spray




As you can see, nothing cleaned perfectly 100%, but the Norwex did do surprisingly better than the other two cloths. (Norwex does actually have test results with up to 99.8% removal of e-coli and Staph, but we're not exactly working in a perfect scientific lab here in our bathroom)

The other claim is that when the cloth is lightly-dirty, you can hand wash it with dishsoap and let it dry for 24 hours and the silver in the fibers will self-purify the fabric so you can use it again.  

So, after cleaning the kitchen & bathroom with the Norwex & Costco cloths, I washed them & hung them to dry.  Then, the next day, I rubbed them each on a petri-dish to see what happened:


The Norwex did remarkably better than the Costco.
I'm still not going to take a cloth and rub it all over my kitchen counter after cleaning the toilet with it, but I'm convinced enough to give the product a try.

...which leads me to the selling part.  They're having a special right now, so I signed up to be a Norwex distributor.  I don't see myself throwing a bunch of parties, I did it mostly for the discount, but I am throwing a launch party to get it started.  So, if anyone wants to order anything, you can do so here:

If you do place an order, at the end, you can click on the "yes help me find my host", and type in my name.  Or, if you want to save a little on shipping, you can send me your order and I can place it on the bulk party order and have everything sent to me (it will be $6 for shipping).


No comments:

Post a Comment