Saturday, July 31, 2010

Visit to Lakeside

We spent the afternoon up on Whidby Island visiting the camp where I spent the majority of my childhood.  I haven't been up there since I was in college, so I was excited to see the place, as well as give Keith a visual of that place I've talked about so much.

They were expecting over 600 people, so we parked in Mukilteo and walked across.  Then we were picked up in Clinton by the oldest school bus I've seen in quite a while.  We weren't entirely sure it would make it up the hill to the camp, but we survived.
We got to wander around the camp for a few hours.  There are a few new buildings, but for the most part everything is just how I remember it from childhood (although everything seems just a little bit smaller than I remember).  I think Keith finally understands the draw of summer camp.  I'm really looking forward to when our little guy is big enough that we can take him to our first Family Camp.  I don't think I'm far enough into parenting to look forward to the day that I can drop him off for his first Jr Boy's camp and have a week to myself, but I'm sure those days will come too.
My first trip to camp was when I was 6-weeks old, our little guy was about 9-weeks younger than I.  But it will probably be a little while before he gets to visit outside of me.

We only stayed for about half of the 50-year celebration ceremony.  Knowing this group, it probably went pretty late, and Mom started to get antsy pretty much as soon as we finished eating.  I was sorry to miss the ceremony, but it was nice to get home while it was still a little light out.

No comments:

Post a Comment